Monday, November 30, 2015

Spectacular First Editions from the 1970s

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas PynchonSpectacular First Editions from the 1970s: The 1970s saw end of the Vietnam War, the dawn of disco, the first commercially available microwave oven, the energy crisis, and the election of Margaret Thatcher. It was a decade of contradictions and nowhere was that more evident than in the world of books. From The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison's profound 1970 debut, right through to the New Journalism of Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff in 1979, the'70s produced some of the 20th century's most compelling literature.

5 comments:

Don Coffin said...

Of the ones shown on the fist page, I have owned 13 and actually made it through 9. Not telling which (except I could not finish Gravity's Rainbow).

Unknown said...

I finished it, but all I remember is the first sentence.

Don Coffin said...

Which is? (I no longer have a copy...)

Don Coffin said...

I love google:

"A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now."

Unknown said...

I have no idea why I've remembered that first sentence for 40 years or so.