Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Overlooked Movies: Blind Date

Here we go again, another movie the critics hated but one that made me and Judy laugh a lot when we saw it in the theater the day it opened.  I still smile when I think about Basinger tearing off shirt and coat pockets.  Hard to believe I saw this movie almost 30 years ago.  Did I mention that I miss the old days?

The story is pretty goofy.  Kim Basinger, a real beauty, seems to be a calm, soft-spoken woman, but when she drinks she becomes a crazed hellcat.  Phil Hartman, who plays Willis' brother, sets Willis up with Basinger on a blind date.  The date doesn't go well, since Basinger drinks.  Even worse, her ex, played by John Larrouquette, shows up.  He's crazier than she is, and he's intent on destroying any relationship she develops.  Murder doesn't seem to be out of the question for him.  He's great, but so is everybody in the cast.  Aces all the way.

Naturally everybody in the audience knows that Kim and Bruce are made for each other, even if he does wind up in jail because she drives him almost literally insane.  

Maybe you agree with the critics on this one, but I still think it's mostly hilarious. 

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

At the time I still was a Willis fan somI liked it too.

pattinase (abbott) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max Allan Collins said...

Bill Crider, right yet again.

Unknown said...

Glad I'm not the only fan of this one.