Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day!

Father's Day in the United States: Father's Day in the United States is on the third Sunday of June. It celebrates the contribution that fathers and father figures make for their children's lives. Its origins may lie in a memorial service held for a large group of men, many of them fathers, who were killed in a mining accident in Monongah, West Virginia in 1907.  

the photo on the left is of my father on the beach in Port Aransas, Texas, sometime in the late 1950s.  He seldom took a vacation, and when he did, it was always a short one.  I wish he'd taken more and longer ones because he had fun on the ones he took.  I believe he felt that he had to be present for his job and business to run smoothly.  Maybe he was right, but he deserved more vacations.

4 comments:

George said...

My Dad worked a couple jobs at the same time to support my Mom and my three sisters, my brother, and me. For decades, my Dad was a teacher. Later, he became a guidance counselor. But he painted houses during the Summer. He taught immigrants how to become Americans. When my Dad retired, he and my Mom went to Hawaii, a Super Bowl, and made several trips to Arizona and Florida to visit my sisters. My Dad was basically a happy guy. But he was a worker.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Happy Father's Day, Bill (and George, and all you fathers out there).

I remember my father working late, then making calls at home. Plus, he often worked on Saturdays. He worked to send me and my brother to summer sleep away camp for 6 years. and later all of us to a bungalow colony while he stayed in the city and worked. He kept working when he moved my mother and sisters to California too, first in L.A. and then up north.

Rick Robinson said...

Happy Father's Day, Bill.

My father tried to take a 2 week vacation every year, but usually it was at home but included a few day trips. Later when my brother and I were in high school, the family took two week trips, always driving vacations, my dad at the wheel the whole way. These trips were always "up the coast", from SoCal to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. Many fond memories.

Don Coffin said...

I suspect that no, at or near the end of his/her life, ever said, "I wish I'd taken fewer vacations."